SATELLITE 2018 Provides Boost of Confidence for an Evolving Industry
Rockville, Md. – Wednesday, March 21, 2018 – The 37th Annual SATELLITE Conference and Exhibition was held March 12-15, 2018 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, welcoming close to 15,000 connectivity communications professionals and 350 exhibitors from more than 100 countries around the world.
Highlights from the conference program included:
- Isotropic Systems Founder John Finney unveiled his company’s new all-in-one terminal/antenna in a box that ships with dual beam capability. He also announced partnership deals with iDirect, SES, Inmarsat, and OneWeb. That partnership reunites the original O3b triumvirate of Finney, Steve Collar (SES), and Greg Wyler (OneWeb).
- The Tuesday opening general session panel, featuring the CEOs of the largest satellite operators in the world, answered questions from guest moderators from Cisco, Royal Caribbean, and Wells Fargo about how they hope to steer technology development in the 5G/IOT/Big Data communications era.
- In-orbit servicing and commercial space situational awareness were popular topics throughout the week — starting with Orbital ATK’s reveal of its new robotic servicing vehicles (MRV) and pods. Intelsat CEO Stephen Spengler joined Orbital ATK’s President and CEO David Thompson and Space Logistics President Tom Wilson to personally endorse the technology, calling it “a significant revenue-generating and cost saving opportunity for operators.”
- Congressman Dutch Ruppersberger (D-MD) delivered welcome remarks at the Satellite Executive of the Year luncheon, prior to Gwynne Shotwell being honored with the 2017 Satellite Executive of the Year Award for her role as SpaceX’s COO.
“SATELLITE 2018 was a huge win for the satellite industry for a long list of reasons that should have left everyone feeling excited about the future,” said Jeffrey Hill, Conference Chairman of SATELLITE 2018. “The audience at SATELLITE once again grew year over year, and we welcomed first time attendees from many markets and companies outside the satellite community. The “big deal” announcements and new product reveals flooded news feeds, and there seemed to be much more certainty in the air regarding our direction as a technology community.”
Highlights from the exhibition included:
- The 2nd Annual Startup Space entrepreneur pitch contest was a tremendous success. Produced in partnership with the Space Frontier Foundation, the competition put 20 entrepreneurs on stage in front of more than a dozen investors and industry leaders for a chance to win guaranteed meetings with investors, free full-access admission to industry events and interviews inVia Satellite Dan Ceperley, CEO of LeoLabs, which aims to bring advanced space debris mapping services to LEO and protect the swarms of new constellations in the pipeline, was the grand prize winner.
- In addition to experiencing the variety of products and services available on the show floor, attendees got an insider’s look with live tech demos from executives at AQYR, Cyphre – a RigNet Company, Mission Microwave, UHP Networks, and Wind River in the SATELLITE Unveiled Theater.
- “A show floor packed with 350 exhibiting companies and thousands of attendees from a wide array of markets, coupled with action in the Unveiled Theater from Startup Space and exhibitor-led content and technology demos made the SATELLITE 2018 show floor a hub of activity throughout the busiest week of the year for satellite and space professionals,” said Sales Director Michael Cassinelli. “As the market continues to evolve, we aim to keep pace and continue to meet the needs and expectations of exhibitors and attendees alike.”
SATELLITE 2019 will be held May 6-9, 2019 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center located at 801 Mt Vernon Pl NW, Washington, D.C. 20001. For more information and to sign up for updates, visit www.SATShow.com.
Follow SATELLITE 2019
Twitter: www.twitter.com/SATELLITEDC (@SATELLITEDC, #SATShow)
About SATELLITE 2019
SATELLITE unites more than 15,000 aerospace and connectivity thought leaders, entrepreneurs, executives, engineers, end-users and enthusiasts from around the world for the largest and most important global satellite technology event of the year. Serving all industries looking to better their business operations or enhance their strategy through connectivity, the SATELLITE Conference and Exhibition will take place on May 6-9, 2019 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center located at 801 Mt Vernon Pl NW, Washington, D.C. 20001. For more information, please visit www.satshow.com
Isabel Burnham, Sr. Marketing Coordinator
SATELLITE Conference & Exhibition